You are here

Attorney Info


Attorney Admission

Any attorney admitted to practice law before the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia and in good standing as a member of its bar is eligible for admission as a permanent member of the bar of the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia (WVND).  An eligible attorney may be admitted as a permanent member of the bar of WVND upon motion of a permanent member of the bar of the WVND who shall sign the register of attorneys with the person admitted.  If the motion for admission is granted, the applicant shall pay the admission fee.

Pro Hac Vice

In order to appear in a particular matter without becoming a member of the bar of this Court, counsel must be duly licensed to be admitted to practice before a court of record of general jurisdiction in any other state or country or in the District of Columbia.  If he or she is in good standing as a member of the bar of such jurisdiction but has not been admitted to the bar of the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia or the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, he or she may appear in a particular action, suit, proceeding or other matter in this Court by registering for CM/ECF and filing a verified statement of application for pro hac vice admission.  Each pro hac vice admission requires payment of a $200.00 fee.

 Changing your contact information

If you have a change of your name, firm affiliation, address or telephone number, you should first update your information with the State Bar. Then, please prepare, sign and file the Modification of Attorney Contact Information form and file in each and every open/pending case that you are attorney of record for in this district. You should use the Notice event and select Notice of Change of Address for filing the form in CM/ECF. If you are not the attorney of record in any open/pending cases before this Court, leave the style of the case on the form blank and please e-mail the completed form to or

Letters should be sent to:
U.S. District Court
Northern District of West Virginia
Attention Admission Clerk
500 West Pike Street, Room 301
Clarksburg, WV 26302
Certificate of Good Standing

To obtain a certificate of good standing, deliver a letter including the name of the attorney for whom a certificate is requested and a check for $20.00 payable to the Clerk of Court to the Clerk's Office at your closest point of holding court or mail the letter to the following address:

United States District Clerk's Office
1125 Chapline Street
P.O. Box 471
Wheeling, WV 26003
Maintaining Your E-Mail In CM/ECF

An attorney may add or change an e-mail address, or add secondary recipients, by logging into CM/ECF and selecting utilities™/My Account™/Maintain Your E-mail.

Attorney Training and (CM/ECF)

Training Classes are held at the Clerk's Office at the four points of holding court throughout the year.  To inquire as to the next training class contact Connie Diamond, Data Quality Administrator, (304) 267-5682 or follow this link Attorney CM/ECF Training

In addition, the following on line training can be helpful: